The County Engineer in Ohio is sworn to "perform for the
county all duties authorized or declared by law to be done
by a civil engineer or surveyor". Although exempt from
engineering duties for public buildings, he is the
engineer for all public improvements under the authority
of the board of commissioners. The Ashland County Engineer
is responsible for the maintenance of 283 miles of county
roads. Roadway maintenance duties include paving,
patching, resurfacing, roadside mowing and brush cutting,
snow plowing and drainage improvements. There are
currently 237 bridges (10' span or over) on the county and
township road systems that are the responsibility of the
Ashland County Engineer. He performs an annual inspection
and evaluation of the condition and load bearing capacity
of each bridge and files these reports with the Ohio
Department of Transportation. Another annual report
summarizing the work done and planned by the County
Engineer is filed with the County Commissioner's.
The County Engineer serves as a consultant to the Township
Trustees for their road maintenance program. Ohio law
requires that the County Engineer create and maintain tax
maps which show every parcel of land and property owner as
described in the county deed records. These maps are used
by the County Auditor for property tax purposes. They are
available to the public at the Ashland County Tax Map
Office. Continuing education is a high priority for the
Ashland County Engineer, who attends numerous conferences,
seminars and workshops to keep pace with changing
legislation and technology. The Ashland County Engineer
offers his support and insight to local and regional
planning commissions, working toward better use of our
limited land resources, to make Ashland County and Ohio a
better place to live.
The Ashland County Engineer's Office and Central Garage are located on a 5.4 acre parcel at 1511 Cleveland Avenue, in the northeast part of the City of Ashland. The Engineer's Office was located in the Courthouse until 1979, when the present office building was erected on the site of the old highway garage. The office covers 1,800 square feet, with the upstairs housing the staff room, reception and secretarial area, engineer's office, conference room and rest rooms. The basement level, which has a small employee lounge/kitchenette and utility room serves mostly as a records storage area, and provides potential expansion for future staffing requirements.
The old 15,000 square foot garage and 4,000 square foot equipment storage building were demolished and a new garage facility was built in 1996 on the same site. The new garage, which covers 24,000 square feet, contains a 12,000 square foot vehicle storage area and a 7,000 square foot repair garage with four bays. Also included are offices for the superintendent and clerk, employee ready room and locker rooms, sign shop, parts room, hazardous materials storage and an attached truck wash bay.
The back lot is used for materials and salt storage, while stone and road patching materials are kept on a nearby lot on Twp. Rd. 1175.
The southern garage outpost was located in Loudonville until 1999, when the Commissioners purchased an existing building and 2.1 acres just outside of Perrysville. Vehicles are stored in the building and stone and salt are stored on-site providing the necessary support to the southerly part of the county for road maintenance and snow and ice control.